22 Questions with Piper Strong
1. Name: Piper Strong
2. Age: Yes! 57
3. Hometown: Hydesville
4. How would you describe yourself in three words? Visual, outgoing, athletic
5. What’s something not a lot of people know about you? Really afraid of snakes, but everyone knows that!
6. How do you start your day? Kisses, feed cat, coffee
7. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done in your life? Ski Mont Blanc right down the face
8. What’s your favorite food? Sushi and chocolate
9. Do you have a day job? Sometimes, ski coach
10. What medium do you work in? Mixed, metals
11. Why this medium? It’s challenging and physical plus it requires some skills I have doggedly worked at
12. What inspired you / how did it start? Art History, Myth
13. Do you have a process for creating? Sketches, lots of drawing, cutting, hammering, welding.
14. When are you the most inspired / what’s your favorite time of day to work? Sunny days
15. Which artists inspire you? Van Gogh, Botticelli, D. Smith, O’Keefe, L. Nelson
16. What do you listen to when you work? Jazz, Motown, RNB, VPR
17. What are your thoughts on being an artist in Rutland? Artists are very spread out in VT. Can be pretty lonely, connect through shows
18. What’s your earliest memory of making art in Rutland? Been doing Chaffee Art in the Park for decades
19. Why do you think artists are attracted to Rutland? VT is easy living and space is important, plus beautiful country
20. Which arts organizations in town are you involved with and how has it impacted you? Chaffee, Southern VT Art, Fletcher Farm
21. What’s your favorite art exhibit/project you’ve seen in Rutland? Chaffee and Fletcher
22. What would you like to see for the future of the arts in Rutland? Positive. Hope to keep making art.
Click to view all the “22 Questions With” artists. Check back regularly for more!