Call for Applications — Artist Development Grants
The Vermont Arts Council is now accepting applications for its next round of Artist Development Grants.
Artist Development Grants support artists at all stages of their careers. Grants can fund activities that enhance mastery of an artist’s craft or skills or that increase the viability of an artist’s business. Funding may also support aspects of the creation of new work when the activity allows the grantee to accept a rare and important opportunity.
Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
• advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
• attending a professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
• contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
• marketing, planning, purchasing some materials, or renting studio space (outside of your home) to create new exhibitions or performances
• travel within the United States
Applications are evaluated in two areas: impact and budget. Priority is given to first time grantees and proposals for rare or unique opportunities.
Who May Apply. Artists who:
• have been residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline and are residents at the time the award is granted
• are eighteen years of age or older at the time of application
• have submitted all required reports on any prior Council grants
• meet all of the above requirements and are applying as a representative of an artist group
Who May Not Apply
• Artists whose projects involve activities for which college credit is given
• Artists who have received any other Arts Council grant in the same fiscal year to support the same project
• Artists who have received an Artist Development Grant between September 2021 and June 2022
• Nonprofits and organizations
New! Applicants will now be able to answer narrative questions with either written or recorded audio/video formatting options.
Thanks to the generous support of an anonymous donor, we are able to increase the maximum grant amount this year to $2,000. Grant amounts range from $250-$2,000. For examples of previously funded projects, visit our list of recent grantees.
Feb. 14, 2022
For full details and the online application, visit vermontartscouncil.org/artistdevelopment
The Council accepts grant applications via an online form. If you require an alternate format or assistance to access the application, please contact the grant program manager listed above or Michele Bailey, accessibility coordinator by email or at 802.402.4614. Voice and relay calls welcome.