Holiday Exhibit & Gingerbread Contest
November 30, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - January 19, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Join us for our Holiday Exhibit featuring over sixty artists from around the state. A variety of mediums will be on display including watercolor, oils, pastels, sculpture and ceramics. A collection of small works will fill one of our gallery walls and is perfect for that special holiday gift.
Our gallery will be decorated for the holiday season, garland on the staircase and beautifully lit trees throughout the building.
Gingerbread creations will be on display with professional and non professional entries. Come see the Gingerbread village we create with these special sculptures.
Gingerbread Call for Entries!
The Chaffee Art Center, your center for creativity, is excited to announce the return of the Gingerbread Contest. This year’s theme is “Silver Bells.” Interested bakers, schools, organizations, businesses, families, individuals and young people are invited to submit their imaginative gingerbread creations. Pre-registrations online by November 10th appreciated and will be eligible for a holiday gift basket giveaway.
All entries must be delivered to the Chaffee Art Center on either November 27 or 28 between the hours of 10am and 4pm. The gingerbread creations will be on display in the historic 1890’s mansion from the Holiday Show Opening Reception “Just Imagine” on November 30th where awards in a variety of categories will be announced until January 5, 2019. For information, call 802.775.0356, or stop in to the Chaffee Art Center at
16 South Main Street in Rutland, VT.
Gingerbread Contest Rules & Guidelines ~ 2018
- Registration is not required…But, pre-registrations online by Nov. 15th are appreciated and will be eligible for a holiday gift basket giveaway
- No gingerbread kits permitted.
- Designs may be 2D or 3D.
- Entries are encouraged to use the theme “Silver Bells” or a holiday design.
- Open to all ages, individuals and groups.
- Awards will be announced in a variety of categories (see below for details).
- Entries major components must be made of gingerbread. The rest of the display can be constructed and decorated with edible material.
- Internal structural support for large gingerbread entries do not have to be edible as long as it is not visible from any angle.
- Royal icing strongly recommended. Please remember when choosing your edible materials, that the creations will be on display at room temperature for weeks.
- All structures should be attached to a sturdy base (plywood) enabling it to be free standing.
- All entries must be delivered on either November 27th or 28th between the hours of 10am and 4pm. Please attach a copy of the entry form to your structure.
- Delivery location is the Chaffee Art Center at 16 South Main Street in Rutland, Vermont.
- All gingerbread creations will be on display from the Holiday Show Opening Reception on November 30th from 5pm to 7pm, until January 5, 2019.
- Entries can be picked up on Monday, January 7 between 10am and 5pm. Entries not picked up by 5pm on January 7th will be discarded.
- The Chaffee Art Center reserves the right to not display an entry considered to be inappropriate or not showing quality, and to take out a display that is showing signs of deterioration.
- The Chaffee Art Center and staff/volunteers cannot be held responsible for any damages incurred to the displays while on the Chaffee Art Center’s property.
Visitors will vote for their favorite gingerbread entry in each division from November 30th to January 5th. People’s Choice winners will be contacted by the Chaffee Art Center.
Award Categories per Division:
- Best in Theme
- People’s Choice
- Professional: Bakeries, Caterers, Professional Bakers, Restaurants
- Business: Employees participate together
- Family, School and Group: Families and groups participating with children
- Adult: 18 and up
- Youth: 13 to 17
- Child: Age 12 and under
- Overall appearance
- Originality, imagination and creativity
- Consistency of theme
How to Make Gingerbread
Royal Icing Recipe Makes about 2-1/2 cups
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. meringue powder
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3-1/2 oz. of water (slightly less than 1/2 cup)
Beat until icing forms stiff peaks & will hold a sharp line when knife is drawn through. Keep covered with a damp cloth to keep icing from drying out.
Work with a small amount of icing at a time. Store unused icing in a tightly closed container.
*Note: Meringue powder can be found at cake decorating or craft stores. Do not use icing recipes containing egg, butter or milk.